Summary of the article:
· What Kind of foods are included in the Paleo diet?
· Foods/food groups to be avoided in a Paleo diet:
· Is the Paleo diet low in carbohydrates?
· What types of benefits do the Paleo plan offer?
· What is the ketogenic diet?
· What are the benefits of the ketogenic diet?
· What kind of foods are included in the ketogenic diet?
· Below you will find the foods/food groups that are to be avoided
during a ketogenic diet:
· What do a keto diet and paleo have in common?
· Can you do keto diet and paleo diet at the same time?
· What would a “paleo-ketogenic diet” look like?
· The differences: keto diet vs paleo diet
· Is the Paleo diet better than ketogenic for weight loss?
· What about keto diet and paleo diet for inflammation?
· Which diet works best?
Keto diet vs paleo: what differences?
What is the paleo diet?
What kind of foods are included in the Paleo diet?
- All types of fresh, non-starchy vegetables
- Fresh fruit
- Eggs (ideally organic)
- Beef and other grass-fed meats, such as lamb, game, etc.
- Poultry (outdoor farming))
- Nuts and seeds
- Unrefined oils, such as olive, coconut, flax, walnut and avocado oil
- Natural sweeteners, including raw honey, maple syrup, sometimes coconut sugar, molasses, and raw stevia
2. Foods/food groups to be avoided in a Paleo diet:
- All cereals and cereal flour products (see why here and also there)
- Legumes (we talk about it in this video)
- Dairy products (see why on this item)
- Refined sugar (we talk about it in this video and also on this one)
- Sweetened drinks
- Refined vegetable oils (learn how to choose your vegetable oil)
Is the Paleo diet low in carbohydrates?
What types of benefits does the Paleo plan offer?
Many health benefits have been associated with the Paleo diet, including:
- Reduced risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
- Better management of blood sugar,
- Reduced insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome protection.
- The reduction of inflammation causes mortality and autoimmune diseases.
- It helps with weight loss, both because it removes many empty calories from the diet and because it is rich in protein and fat, which increases satiety.
- Low blood pressure.
- Lower risk of nutritional deficiencies because of the Paleo diet focuses on high-nutrient foods, including quality meats, nuts, fruits, and vegetables.
What is the ketogenic diet?
What are the benefits of the ketogenic diet?
- It helps with weight loss, often in a relatively short period of time.
- Protection against common diseases such as obesity, insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes, and neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Reduction of inflammation, including joints, brain, and heart.
- Increased protection of the brain against degeneration and cognitive decline.
- Reduction of hunger and hunger through the natural effects of ketones on hunger
. What foods are included in the ketogenic diet?
- Beef and other grass-fed meats such as lamb, game, etc.
- Dairy products high in fat and low in carbohydrates, such as cheese, butter, and cream;
- All vegetables (except those rich in starch))
- Nuts and seeds (small amount))
- Unrefined oils, such as olive, coconut, flax, walnuts and avocado oil
Below you will find the foods/food groups that are to be avoided during a ketogenic diet :
- All types of sugar (natural or refined)
- Fruit (or berries in very small quantities))
- All cereals (including whole grains) and cereal flour products
- Legumes (including beans and peanuts)
- Sweet and low-fat dairy products (such as most yogurt and all ice cream))
- Processed foods/junk foods, including those made from refined vegetable oils;
- Sugar drinks
- Starchy vegetables, like all potatoes
What do a keto diet and paleo have in common?
Can you do a keto diet and paleo at the same time?
What would a “paleo-ketogenic diet” look like?
The following is a list of paleo-ketogenic dishes with acceptable food groups in both diets.:
- Oils, including palm, avocado, hemp, coconut, olive, and flax oil
- Poultry and poultry meat raised on pasture;
- All types of wild fish
- All types of nuts and nut’s butter and seeds
- All non-starchy vegetables
The differences: keto diet vs paleo
- The ketogenic diet is high in fat, while the Paleo diet tends to be high in protein.
- Although the Paleo diet always includes a variety of healthy fats, the ketogenic diet is very high in fat, as fat provides about 75% or more of the daily calories.
- The Paleo diet tends to be seen as a carnivorous (which is not true). Although meat in moderation is perfectly healthy, excessive meat consumption may not be.
For example, some studies show that high consumption of processed red meat and meat has been linked to an increased risk of mortality and colorectal cancer.
- The Paleo diet eliminates added sugar, cereals, beans/pulses, and dairy products.
- The ketogenic regime, in principle, eliminates all sources of sugar (natural and additional), fruit, cereals/pulses, starchy vegetables, and maize, as well as conventional low-fat dairy products.
- With the Paleo diet, the goal is not to get into ketosis, but simply to eat a healthy and balanced diet.
- Most people on the Paleo diet do not seek to eat a very specific amount of carbohydrates.
Is the Paleo diet better than ketogenic for weight loss?
The ketogenic diet appears to be more effective. And it also helps in promoting fat and weight loss, as ketosis ensures that fat is used as energy.
That being said, the Paleo can also lead to weight loss, as it eliminates processed foods and empty calories while increasing protein and fat intake in diet.
What about keto diet vs paleo for inflammation?
Inflammation, both regimens may have anti-inflammatory effects.
The Paleo diet is quite famous among people with autoimmune diseases because it eliminates many common allergens, such as dairy products and gluten.
Ketones (produced during ketosis) also have anti-inflammatory effects, which explains why the ketogenic diet that has been associated with protection against chronic diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, and even cancer.
Which diet works best?
As far as keto diet vs paleo is concerned, here is the essential:
Both diets are healthy and offer many benefits, including weight loss/maintenance, metabolic health, immunity, etc.
But there is no clear” winner ” in terms of keto diet vs paleo, although you are likely to experience faster results in terms of ketosis-related weight loss.
The use of one diet rather than another is based essentially on its health problems; we will find a specific interest of the ketogenic diet in neurodegenerative pathologies and the interest of the Paleo in autoimmune diseases.
At last, it is important to note that the Paleo diet continues to be a more effective and sustainable food source.